Your oral hygiene is important, and it’s your initiative to keep your teeth clean, well-flossed, and mouth fresh. Plaque is one of the common dental problems affecting many people.
Probably, you are struggling with removing dental plaque and wondering how to deal with the problem. The good news? It’s possible to remove plaque.
The best way to do this is to buy the best toothbrush for plaque removal. What matters most is not just the type of toothbrush you get, be considerate about the technique you use.
I’ve used different types of toothbrushes to remove plaque to help you choose what is right for you. Here is robust information to help improve plaque scores.
Top 3 Toothbrushes For Plaque Removal
This best smart toothbrush is ideal for removing plaque and stains, leaving you with fresh breath.
- Easy to use
- Exceptional cleaning modes
- Two-minute timer for timely brushing
It easily and effectively sweeps away plaque and leaves your mouth fresh all day or night.
- Easy to use
It is an excellent toothbrush that removes plaque efficiently without damaging your gums.
- Dentist approved
- Long soft tapered bristles
An Overview of the Best Toothbrush for Plaque Removal
Plaque mostly forms when bacteria in the mouth come into contact with food and drinks. The condition leads to sensitivity in the teeth, chronic bad breath, and bleeding gum when brushing.
Good oral hygiene which involves daily tooth brushing and flossing is the best way to improve plaque scores. Dental professionals recommend using the best manual toothbrush or electric toothbrush that you can find on sale. However, it’s best to assess the safety and effectiveness of the available brushes as they don’t perform equally well.
The tooth brushing technique you embrace matters. I find it more effective if you brush your teeth moving the toothbrush in gentle circular motions right at the gum line.
You shouldn’t also forget to brush on all other surfaces of the teeth and the tongue as well. It means you have to settle for the best manual toothbrushes at your disposal.
I also recommend you use an electric toothbrush to clean your teeth. Further, you need to choose an electric toothbrush with a small circular brush that can reach gaps in between your teeth.
It all comes to personal preference when choosing the best toothbrush for removing plaque. You can decide to go for a budget-friendly manual toothbrush or a simple electric toothbrush.
Is There a Toothbrush That Removes Plaque?
The most straightforward answer is a YES. There is a toothbrush that you can invest in that helps get rid of plaque.
Here are the 7 best toothbrushes for plaque removal efficacy:
- Best Overall– Dr. Brite Sonic Toothbrush-White
- Best for Sensitive Teeth– Philips Sonicare 3 Series Gum Health Electric Toothbrush
- Best Family-Friendly Toothbrush– The Nimbus Microfine Toothbrush
- Best for Most Advanced Brushing – Oral-B Genius 9600 Electric Toothbrush
- Best Affordable Toothbrush– Colgate Extra Clean Toothbrush
- Best Affordable Electric Toothbrush– PHYLIAN Sonic Electric Toothbrush
- Best Soft Manual Toothbrushes– Oral-B Pro-Health Soft Toothbrushes
Our top pick for the best electric toothbrush for removing plaque is the Sonic Toothbrush. It is one of the standout electric toothbrushes with deep cleaning capabilities that will remove plaque and improve gum health.
The Sonic toothbrush is one of the top products available at Dr. Brite and is feature-packed to help boost the health of your teeth and gums. It is a recommendable and best smart toothbrush you will like if you want a full 360-degree teethe cleaning.
This best smart toothbrush is ideal for removing plaque and stains, leaving you with fresh breath. The electric toothbrush embraces the sonic technology that defines many of Dr. Brite’s products.
Features of Sonic Toothbrush-White
- The Sonic toothbrush features Sonic technology that makes it easy to remove plaque and deep clean. I like how it’s easy to brush different surfaces of my teeth and ensure the fluoride toothpaste gets to those hard-to-reach places.
- You’ll like the sonic toothbrush head designed with precision, even to promote oxygen flow around the mouth while brushing. The toothbrush has different-sized brush heads to choose from and cater to sensitive teeth.
- I like the three cleaning modes that the toothbrush proffers. The sonic toothbrushes offer modes that allow extra time to clean stains in sensitive places, get rid of plaque, and deep clean hard-to-reach surfaces.
- The model has a two-minute timer that makes it easy to remove plaque and clean teeth without any worries. A timer and pressure sensor also helps not exert too much pressure on the tooth structure.
- You’ll have a sleek and comfortably designed electric toothbrush. I love the white brush color, and my kids fancy using them daily.
- The charger light is a favorite feature, as you know when the battery is fully charged or running low. This is a feature that helps enhance the battery life of the toothbrushes and keep the brush head in good condition.
- Easy to use
- Effectively removes plaque and freshens your mouth
- Exceptional cleaning modes
- Two-minute timer for timely brushing
- It can be uncomfortable to use the brush for the first time until you adjust to the new brushing routine and toothbrush.
3- cleaning modes
Electric / Battery Powered
Pack of 1
1 Lithium Metal batteries required
Philips is a tested and reputable brand that makes the best electric toothbrushes. You won’t go wrong by picking the Philips Sonicare 3 Series Gum Health Electric Toothbrush.
Well, it is a distinctive model that removes plaque in sensitive teeth. You’ll have a safe toothbrush with a pressure sensor even if you struggle with tooth decay, fillings, crowns, braces, and veneers.
I enjoy the hygienist feeling these electric toothbrushes give my loved ones and me. It easily and effectively sweeps away plaque and leaves your mouth fresh all day or night.
Features of Philips Sonicare 3 Series Electric Toothbrush
- You’ll have a gentle toothbrush for sensitive teeth with sticky plaque and dental work. I like the refreshing feeling of the brush after cleaning my teeth every morning or in the evening after meals.
- It is an easy-to-use power toothbrush excellent at reducing signs of gum disease 6x more than any other electric toothbrush. You’ll like the comfort of the whole brushing experience.
- My favorite feature is the special SmarTimer that helps meet the recommended brushing time of not less than two minutes.
- The brush also beeps every 30 seconds because it features a Quadpacer interval timer. This feature spurs thorough brushing of the whole mouth, leaving you feeling fresh.
- It is a smart toothbrush clinically proven to improve oral health status in 3 ways. I like how it helps reduce redness, gum bleeding, and swelling when getting rid of plaque build-up.
- The electric toothbrush also features three intensity settings provided by the gentle brush heads for an amazing brushing experience.. I can easily set the toothbrush on either low, medium, or high power levels to enjoy comfortable gum line brushing.
- You’ll like the cup-shaped brush head, a feature most electric toothbrushes miss.. It’s designed to deliver thorough yet gentle clean teeth free from plaque buildup.
- 100% effective for getting rid of plaque
- Easy to use
- There is variability when it comes to the battery life of the toothbrush.
3 Piece Set
1 Unknown batteries required.
Looking for a manual toothbrush that ideally suits your loving family’s needs? Get the Nimbus Microfine Toothbrush.
It is an excellent toothbrush that removes plaque efficiently without damaging your gums. My family fancies manual brushing as these toothbrushes are so comfortable that you can’t wait to brush your teeth.
It is a periodontist-designed toothbrush that will improve your brushing habits. Most importantly, I like it because it is our leading manual toothbrush for people with gum recession, implants, or crowns.
Features of the Nimbus Microfine Toothbrush
- It comes with pliable and ultra-soft bristles great for sensitive or inflamed teeth. I love how the long, soft, gentle bristles easily help reach tight gaps and crevices to get rid of plaque.
- The cleaning power of these toothbrushes is matchless, thanks to the controlled softness of the long tapered bristles. The manual toothbrushes have two levels of bristles that utilize Microfine Technology to create stability.
- You’ll like the durability of these brushes as they absorb less water which makes it easy to maintain their long bristles and last longer.
- They are the safest manual toothbrushes you can buy today. Experienced periodontist design and test these brushes to gauge their plaque removal efficacy on sensitive tooth surfaces.
- The toothbrush handle is easy to control and comfortable. You don’t have to stress when brushing even hard to reach areas or deep cleaning.
- It guarantees multiple brushing modes and gets rid of plaque with ease. I find it easy to deep cleanse, gently clean, whiten teeth, and massage the gums.
- This brush also utilizes the standard-size manual brush head. I find I find the brush heads exceptional for everyday teeth cleaning without exerting much pressure on my gums.
- The value pack will come equipped with 5 toothbrushes, excellent for each family member. You can always set aside a few brushes if traveling.
- Gentle for polishing, cleaning, and brightening teeth
- Easy and comfortable to use
- Dentist approved
- Long soft tapered bristles
- Kids or seniors may brush harder and end up hurting their receding gums.
Are you wondering how to improve your brushing habits and oral health? Our Oral-B Genius 9600 Electric Toothbrush is the most advanced model to cater to all your needs.
You’ll have the most excellent electric toothbrush designed by experts to remove plaque and prevent or reduce gingivitis. It’s a smart toothbrush with an oscillating and pulsating brush head. So, you don’t have to stress brushing your teeth even if you are struggling with gum recession.
Choosing our most advanced electric toothbrush makes it easy to personalize your brushing habits and general experience.
Features of Oral-B Genius 9600 Electric Toothbrush
- The Genius 9600 comes with six brushing modes. It is a feature I like because you can clean teeth daily to remove plaque and maintain oral health. I find it easy to gum care, gently brush sensitive gums, whiten, deep clean, and tongue clean.
- This electric toothbrush embraces Gum Protection Technology. It has a standout app that helps me see and improve how I brush daily. The Pro Gum Care Refill gently helps clean the gum line without increased sensitivity or irritation.
- The other feature I love is the unique round toothbrush head that holds the bristles in place. This model features ultra-thin and soft bristles for plaque reduction and teeth cleaning.
- There is a pressure sensor to protect your gum and teeth. The model stands above other electric toothbrushes because the pressure sensor alerts you when brushing too hard.
- It has a two-minute timer that works well with 360 Smarting and Bluetooth connectivity and pressure sensor. Your brush will pause and restart for a stimulating sensation until you achieve that deep clean.
- Enjoy using the rechargeable lithium-ion battery. In my experience, the battery life is 4 days or more between charges. You can also use the Smart Travel Case to charge your phone and the electric toothbrushes.
- Embraces smart app toothbrush technology
- Six cleaning modes
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Pressure sensors
- Two-minute timer
- I find the electric toothbrush a bit pricey compared to other models.
Visible Pressure Sensor, Bluetooth Connectivity
1 Lithium Polymer batteries required
If you’re looking for one of the remarkable manual toothbrushes, get the Colgate Extra Clean Toothbrush.
You’ll have a budget-friendly toothbrush that doesn’t skimp on quality. The features of this model define how effective it is, and you’ll like its matchless teeth cleaning power.
Colgate Extra Clean Toothbrush is a medium toothbrush for adults, excellent for getting rid of plaque and boosting your oral health. Feel free to explore every feature this affordable manual toothbrush offers.
Features of Colgate Extra Clean Toothbrush
- I like the Colgate quality-tested bristles. The toothbrush uses circular power bristles to help get rid of plaque and related tooth stains.
- The cleaning tip bristles are exclusively designed. In my experience, the bristles are excellent to reach and clean between tight areas and the back of the teeth.
- Guarantees matchless bristle firmness. I can choose between soft, medium, and firm bristles depending on my brushing preferences.
- This model features an easy-to-grip handle. I find it comfortable to hold and control the brush while cleaning even the hard-to-reach surfaces in the mouth.
- It comes with a built-in cheek and tongue cleaner or scraper to remove bacteria and freshen your breath. I don’t have to worry about getting rid of any food or drink residues on my tongue.
- The model comes in varying colors. My family fancies this manual toothbrush because they can choose a color they like and what works best.
- You can easily pack the toothbrush with other travel accessories. You will get this model in a pack of six, meaning you’ve enough toothbrushes to last several months of daily use.
- It’s a cost-effective manual model. I don’t have to spend a fortune to get this toothbrush.
- Portable and easy to pack
- Circular power bristles
- Comfortable and easy to grip
- You may find it manually daunting to use the toothbrush
- Must thoroughly clean and rinse the brush after use.
Built-in tongue scraper or cleaner
6 count in a pack of 1
Manual work required
Make your search for the best electric toothbrushes meaningful by picking the PHYLIAN Sonic Electric Toothbrush. With this electric toothbrush, you’ll efficiently get rid of plaque and achieve ultimate oral cleanliness.
It’s a good electric toothbrush model that suits everyone in the family, young and old.
Long-term use of an electric toothbrush helps reduce gum bleeding and makes brushing enjoyable without hurting your gums. Plus, it has amazing features you will like that more electric toothbrushes promise.
Features of PHYLIAN Sonic Electric Toothbrush
- Embraces the sonic technology for outstanding daily teeth cleaning. It is one of my favorite sonic electric toothbrushes that gives you quick relief from plaque and removes stains.
- The brush utilizes 40,000 high-frequency vibrations per minute (VPM) to remove plaque and food hidden in hard-to-reach surfaces.
- I like its cleaning effect or power, which is 7x better than low-vibration electric toothbrushes.
- It comes with 8 DuPont replacement brush heads. I don’t have to worry about the cost of replacement heads. In my experience, the 8 brush heads can satisfy your brushing needs for more than 24 months.
- It’s an easy-to-customize model offering five cleaning modes. I always find these five brushing modes suitable for my different oral conditions. I can efficiently clean my sensitive teeth, remove stains along the gum, and whiten, polish, and massage gums.
- I like how this brush utilizes modern tech for a healthy smile. The two-minute timer makes it easy to customize each cleaning mode in 30s and remove plaque.
- It is IPX7 waterproof and safe for everyday use. I comfortably use this brush, clean and rinse it after use without any risk of damage. You can even use it in the shower.
- 8 sturdy, slender, and flexible brush heads
- Safe and practical design
- Five cleaning modes
- Requires charging and can be inconvenient if its battery life is short.
- I found it demanding and costly to replace the heads.
8 DuPont replacement brush heads
1 Count (Pack of 1)
1 Lithium Ion battery required.
Our list of the top toothbrushes for plaque removal won’t be complete without picking the best Oral-B manual toothbrush.
The Oral-B Pro-Health Soft Toothbrushes come in 6 count in one pack with gentle bristles. The high quality of these toothbrushes gives the model an edge over other manual brushes for eliminating plaque.
The Oral-B Pro-Health soft toothbrushes attack plaque more efficiently than straight bristles in other manual brushes. It’s advisable to embrace the correct brushing technique to utilize these toothbrushes.
Features of Oral-B Pro-Health Soft Toothbrushes
- You’ll get all-in-one soft and effective toothbrushes. I like these brushes because they remove up to 99% of plaque in hard-to-reach places. The pack with six brushes is enough to last months.
- The model utilizes the CrossAction bristles technology. It is my favorite manual toothbrush that attacks plaque 5x with every stroke. It’s easy to reach a 16-degree angle, those tight spaces that hard bristles cannot.
- You don’t need to scrub your teeth too hard, as the bristles are soft and gentle.
- The model features gum stimulators that gently massage sensitive and receding gums.
- These toothbrushes have tongue and cheek cleaners. Being my favorite toothbrush model, the Oral-B Pro-Health soft brush makes it easy to eliminate food residue, bacteria, and bad breath.
- I like the grippy handles of the toothbrushes. The handle is designed to enhance a firm and comfortable grip when using your toothbrush for cleaning teeth.
- You’ll get these toothbrushes in varying colors. Besides their ergonomic design, the toothbrushes are appealing to the eyes.
- Not that bulky in size and weighs about 5 ounces, great for traveling. I like how it’s easy to pack and bring on-the-go these brushes.
- Easy to use and reach tight gaps
- Effective pressure sensors
- Angled and rounded soft bristles
- Attached tongue scraper or cleaner
- You may find the gum stimulators bothersome if not used to the brush
Gentle and soft bristles
6 Count (Pack of 1)
What Should I Look for When Buying a Toothbrush for Plaque Removal?
Don’t choose an electric toothbrush or a traditional one that is too small or too large for your mouth. Go for a round head, oscillating brush head, or small brush head size that suits your needs. A model that comes with a brush head replacement reminder is worth the money you spend.
When you find a toothbrush labeled soft, medium, or hard, this refers to bristle stiffness. ADA advocates for a toothbrush with soft bristles. Hard bristles can easily damage your gum and remove the enamel.
A Wide Range of Settings
Settings to help personalize your electric toothbrush to your preference. They include pressure sensors, charging methods, brush timers, replacement brush head, tongue brushing setting, and a wide range of cleaning modes.
ADA Seal of Acceptance
Pick a toothbrush that is tested and approved by dental professionals. A clinically proven toothbrush safe, easy to use, and efficient for eliminating plaque.
Electric toothbrush is not that expensive. You can find budget-friendly designs that are featured packed to satisfy your taste. Try brands with three brush heads, pressure sensors, two brush heads, or a unique model with suction cup phone holder.
Who May Be More Likely to Get Plaque?
Everyone can get the plaque. However, the buildup may be severe if you consume many sugary drinks or starchy food.
Can Electric Toothbrush Remove Plaque Buildup?
Yes, the best electric toothbrush is great for treating plaque. But pick a toothbrush approved by dental professionals that will efficiently clean the teeth and gums daily.
How Do You Get Rid of Major Plaque Build-Up?
It’s wise to brush your teeth twice a day and not forget even the hidden areas of the mouth. Plus, it’s effective to maintain good oral hygiene and prevent plaque buildup.
What Brushing Mistakes Do You Make?
Common mistakes you make brushing your teeth include picking the wrong brush, brushing your teeth too hard, and using one toothbrush for too long. Others forget the gum line, fail to clean their tongue, and don’t take their time, at least 2 minutes daily.